Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Little Miss Linear Gets Creative


Six months ago I would have told you that I was the most uncreative person in the world.  I didn’t think that I had a creative bone in my body.  But all that has changed and I feel that it is for the better.

To me (as evidenced by yesterday’s quiz) creativity is intimate and personal.  This is exactly why I avoided it in myself.  Yet I was always attracted to creative people because I wanted to know what made them tick.  I have always loved to travel and visit museums.  So was my creativity just trying to find a way to express itself?  The answer is a resounding “YES.”

In the last six months I have had my creativity pulled out of me.  In fact, in many ways, I’ve been tricked into creating things.  But much to my amazement I have loved every second of it.  I cannot convey how mind blowing it has been for me to realize that this has been part of who I am all along.  I have written and stretched and laughed more than you can imagine.  It brings me such peace and causes me to examine all facets of life in new ways.

A dear friend of mine, who also happens to be a writer, shared an interesting thing with me.  We were working on a project together and we got stuck on some part of it.  He said it was time to take a break and do some other creative activity.  He shared that when he does that, he comes back ready to write in a new way.  I was panic stricken…..another creative pursuit?  Is he out of his mind?  I am not even a real writer, how can I manage something else?  So we talked about what other things I might be interested in.  He reminded me of my love of the piano and I admitted that I’ve always wanted to paint something.  So, dear reader, I hope you are sitting down..cause Little Miss Linear is now learning to play piano and beginning to paint and writing full time.  I will admit that there are many moments in a day when I have no clue who I am anymore.  But it has been quite a ride.

It seems to have unlocked unspoken potential in me.  I was recently in Spain and thought, I loved speaking Spanish.  Why not go back to it, Ellen?  You could you know.  Anything seems possible these days.  So add speaking Spanish to my list. 

I am so thankful that my friend knew me well enough to know that my creative side was in there and that he knew how to pull it out of me…even with my kicking and screaming at times.  I now pay it forward by offering you the same.  If I am embracing my creative side, so should you!  All of us have been gifted with the ability to create.  What things excite you?  What things have you always wanted to do?  What is stopping you?  Are you brave enough to tell us what you are going to try?

Check back tomorrow to see what biblical character teaches us about creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment