Search This Blog

Friday, July 15, 2011

Ask Ellen: Why is Mass so boring? Bob, TX

Ouch!!! That one hurts but may be deserved in some respects. In general, people find Mass boring because they have no clue what is going on. We go to Church….stand, sit and kneel and respond with stuff we memorized but were never told why. We know something significant is going on but we have no idea how to plug ourselves in!

First, let me say that I am sorry that it was never explained to you. Let me also add that I wish we were given more opportunities to understand the Mass piece by piece. This is exactly why I advocate Bible study for Catholics! Everything about the Mass is Biblical!!!! Every response and gesture..everything.

Let me pause for this commercial break…and tell you to get “A Biblical Walk Through The Mass” (Ascension Press) by Dr. Sri. As an aside, he happens to be teaching me the Gospel of John in the Augustine Institute DE program and it is nothing short of fabulous. And no..that is not brown on my nose.

If you read a book like his or maybe “The Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn you will begin to see the depth and significance of the Mass. You will understand what liturgy is and how much we owe to the Jewish faith for its tradition and beauty.

If you study the Mass, you will have many “aha moments” You will even understand vestments and incense. Mass will become like a Bible treasure hunt..sorry, I get carried away. I can guarantee that Mass won’t be boring…but I cannot guarantee that your priest won’t give a boring homily from time to time. But cut the guy some slack. It is hard to share the stage with something as awesome as Mass.

No comments:

Post a Comment