Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun


“Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” is a song by Cyndi Lauper.  I liked that song in the 80s when it came out.  It summarized where I was in life.  I was a young girl with the world in front of me but what I really wanted was to do was to have fun.  As I grew up the focus changed and I would have told you that the song was ridiculous.  I would have told you that there was much more to life than having fun.  I even believed that girls had to prove their worth in a man’s world.  I went to college with this in mind and spent four years in this type of environment.  We girls believed that we were the same as the boys we were sitting next to in class.  We believed a myth.

Since that time of my life, I have felt the freedom that comes from accepting the fact that I am different from men..I’m a girl.  I like soft pink and pretty paper. (just look at the page surrounding this post)  I react to situations differently from the men I know.  And it is a good thing.  Having children has really driven this home.  My husband and I approach our children in radically different ways.  My children are blessed to have each perspective…some may say, “no duh that’s why God designed it that way.”

I have gone to great lengths to embrace my girlie side.  This website was a huge step for me.  To design it for women and have it look so girlie was going to define my mission.  Was I Ok with that?  I wasn’t sure.  I drove my partner crazy with my back and forth on this.  But when I really thought about it, I decided its what I like and I’m going with it.

Does being girlie bother you?  Why?  I doubt that you will find peace until you accept the fact that God made you a girl.  He made you to complete the men in your world not conquer them.

I’m going to listen to “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” now and dance and thank God that I am a girl.  I’m grateful that I get to be soft, play with make-up, wear cute shoes and make pink websites.  I am free to be me. 

Tomorrow we meet our girlie biblical heroine.  Who is she?  I’ll tell you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment