Search This Blog

Friday, April 13, 2012

Ask Ellen: What spiritual lesson can we learn from the battle of Jericho?

What spiritual lesson can we learn from the battle of Jericho?  Joe.


I saved this question until now.  I thought it would be appropriate since we are in the Book of Joshua.  The spiritual application that I see is the value of liturgical warfare.

The Israelites were up against a formidable opponent.  It was seemingly impossible to bring down the walls of Jericho and lay siege on the city.  Yet the Israelites triumphed.  They answered the battle call with liturgy.  They walk in unified motion, marching around the city.  They blew trumpets as a battle cry and united through music.  And they prayed.

This makes me reflect on what we do at Mass.  We also have a worthy opponent, the world.  Yet we join together with our motions, our words and our music to break down walls.  I think that is the beauty of liturgy.

I encourage you to think about this when you attend Mass this weekend. (especially during this joyous season of Easter).  Pray that you begin to realize the power you have been given through the Liturgy.  Pray that we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment